In this workshop, we explored how the story metaphor applies to all our lives, the impact of health in our life stories, the role health plays, and how to apply the discipline of narrative to inspire behavior change. This framework will serve as the foundation for a set of interactive group activities designed to help us better understand and engage members on their behavior change journey.
Watch the Video
A Deeper Dive
Check out the below links for further research referenced by our facilitator Nicole Guthrie and Laurel Fuqua.
- Narrative Medicine: Every Patient Has a Story
- Using Narrative Communication as a Tool for Health Behavior Change
- Doctors’ Stories: The Narrative Structure of Medical Knowledge (AMA Journal of Ethics)
- Annals of Internal Medicine Study on Culturally Appropriate Storytelling to Improve Blood Pressure
- VA’s Healthcare Improvements Through Deliberate Storytelling
- Persuasive Effects of Entertainment –Education Messages
- HIV Intervention Storytelling Study
The Science of Storytelling for Behavior Change
Go beyond the testimonial to understand the deep nature of storytelling in human culture, and how information is absorbed more efficiently through storytelling. Isolate the key components of a story that inspire connection and action.
The Narrative Discipline in Healthcare
Get insights on the power of narrative in healthcare. Learn why the discipline of narrative medicine is being introduced to the next generation of health practitioners and the clinical evidence supporting the value of narrative in transforming health engagement.
Narrative: A Tool for Behavior Change
Learn how to apply what you’ve learned as listener and storyteller in this dynamic and fun exercise:
- Convert a conversation about a health behavior goal to a narrative
- Harness the power of narrative to tap into intrinsic human motivation
- Practice the power of listening to create more meaningful human connections
Contact Carrie Pittman with any questions.